According to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) data, close to 1,500 Americans will lose their lives in hit and run accidents each year. Many thousands more will be injured in a car accident caused by a negligent driver who then decides to illegally leave the scene before appropriate insurance and identifying information can be shared. Do you know what to do if this happens to you?
At Denver Trial Lawyers ®, we want the people of our communities to be safe and ready for anything, including hit and run accidents. Our Denver personal injury attorneys have compiled a helpful guide to what you should in case you are ever injured in a hit and run. If you already know you need our legal representation for an injury claim, please feel free to contact our firm at any time.
After a Hit & Run Accident
Here are a few steps to take after being in a hit and run accident:
- As soon as you can after any car accident, write down the license plate information and a description of the car. In case the driver decides to flee the scene, you will be ready with helpful information to give to our attorneys and the police. Be sure to note which direction the car travels and what part of it hit your own vehicle if they do leave.
- Call 911 after pulling off the road and getting as far away from traffic as possible. Even if you do not think you are seriously injured, it is beneficial to get emergency responders, including a police officer, there as soon as possible.
- Start using your phone to take photographs of the accident. Assuming the other driver fled the scene, you will not be able to take pictures of their vehicle and damage. However, you can look for other evidence of their vehicle, like debris or tire marks.
- Accept any medical attention offered by emergency responders, especially if you know you have been injured. Failing to see a doctor as soon as possible can decrease any recovery you do collect.
- With your medical needs addressed, you should contact Denver Trial Lawyers ® to discuss what happened. We have the experience required to know what additional evidence to collect and use to strengthen your case. You can also rely on our Denver injury lawyers to talk to your insurance company on your behalf. We know what to say and what to do in order to avoid any liability being unfairly placed on you have a hit and run accident.
If the Hit & Run Driver Can Be Identified
A hit and run driver can be found given the right circumstances. If you were able to get license plate information and a general description of the vehicle, as noted in the five steps above, the police will have a strong chance of identifying the criminal offender. The police will be grateful for your effort and will follow through with a criminal investigation and charges.
Our own Denver car accident attorneys will be able to file a personal injury claim against the hit and run driver if they are found. Many hit and run drivers do have car insurance but fled to avoid an increase in their rates. Even if they do not have car insurance, it is possible they might have enough resources to pay for your damages. Never assume an uninsured driver is immune to injury claims. Allow us to research the situation and decide upon the best course of action.
Your Trusted Denver Hit & Run Attorneys
It will be a tragedy if you get pinned with the damages of a hit and run that was not your fault. Avoid such an unfortunate outcome by teaming up with our Denver personal injury lawyers. Throughout our 175+ years of collective experience, we have collected more than $300 million worth of recoveries for our clients in winning case results. Back your own claim with our caliber of service by contacting our firm and requesting a free initial consultation.