Top 10 Causes of Denver Car Accidents
Every year, tens of thousands of Americans die in automobile accidents, and even more are injured. Car accidents in Denver also result in property damage to your vehicle, lost wages, and numerous other inconveniences. Yet why do car accidents occur so frequently-and what can you do to avoid them? Here are the top ten causes of car accidents, and some tips for avoiding serious injury:
- Distracted Driving. The number one cause of car accidents, distracted driving involves everything from use of electronic devices and eating, to applying makeup and changing the radio station. In order to stay safe, avoid using your cellphone while driving. Even hands-free devices have been shown to significantly impair our reaction times. Turn off your cellphone while driving if it is too much of a distraction.
- Driving Under the Influence. Drugs, both prescription and illicit, can affect your ability to fully function as a driver. Be sure to read the warning labels on all medications and avoid driving if a medication is known to cause drowsiness or impairment. Alcohol impairment diminishes a driver's ability to focus on the road and react accordingly in time. Never drink and drive and always designate a driver.
- Reckless Driving. Reckless driving includes tailgating, changing lanes erratically without signing, and speeding. Reckless drivers in Denver are responsible for horrific car accidents every year and many face criminal charges as a result of their recklessness.
- Inclement Weather. Rain, ice, snow, fog, and high winds can all wreak havoc for even the best driver. Water, packed snow, and black ice all create slick road conditions, and high winds can make some vehicles difficult to steer. Slow down if the conditions are bad, or pull over somewhere safe if you need to.
- Poor Road Surfaces. Improperly designed or maintained roads are a significant cause of car accidents in an around the Denver metro area. Contractors and highway departments are responsible for properly installing traffic signs and lights, and keeping roads safely surfaced. Their failure to do so can cause serious accidents and injuries. Potholes, uneven surfaces, poor guardrails, and lack of a shoulder are all examples of poor road conditions that could result in injury to motorists.
- Drowsy Driving. This is a common cause of Denver car accidents at night and sometimes mid-afternoon. The majority of adults do not get the recommended hours of sleep each night. This is especially true for truck drivers and new mothers. In fact, a recent study showed that mothers were the most dangerous drivers on the road because of their lack of sleep!
- Rubbernecking. Another form of distracted driving, this involves sightseeing while you're supposed to be driving. Looking at other accidents and scenic views instead of what is going on in front of you is an accident waiting to happen.
- Road Rage/Aggressive Driving. Angry drivers in Denver cause many needless accidents by tailgating or speeding past drivers to pull in front of them and slam on the brakes. It is best to avoid aggressive drivers and never interact or make eye contact with a driver who is in a rage. If you are afraid of the driver, pull into your nearest police station to get away from them or report them.
- Animal Crossings. Wild animals will wander out into the road without any warning. This is especially problematic in rural or wooded areas. Be cautious of animal crossing signs and use high beams to help spot them before it's too late.
- Defective design/Parts. Automobiles have hundreds of parts, and if any of those parts malfunction due to design defects, a serious accident can result. Automotive recalls are not uncommon. If you are unsure about recall information concerning your vehicle, check online or with your dealer.
Contact Denver Car Accident Lawyers
If you are injured or a loved one was killed in a car accident in Denver, the experienced Denver car accident lawyers at Denver Trial Lawyers ® can help. Our car accident lawyers will review your case and help you choose the legal path that is best for you and your family.
In a free consultation, a Denver car accident attorney at Denver Trial Lawyers ® can inform you of your rights, educate you about the legal process, and discuss how we may be able to obtain compensation for you.