Denver, CO -- A Chevrolet SUV hit an elk on I-25 and Happy Canyon Road on Monday morning, triggering a series of collisions that resulted in one death and eight injuries.
Five vehicles were involved in the crash:
- The Chevrolet SUV, with two passengers from Minnesota inside,
- A Toyota SUV, with two passengers inside,
- A Dodge sedan, with four people from Santa Fe inside,
- A Kia sedan, occupied by the driver only, and
- One additional vehicle, driven by a 21-year-old from Colorado Springs.
The 18-year-old woman passenger of the Chevrolet SUV died at the scene of the crash.
Around 1:00 AM, the Chevrolet SUV hit an elk. The driver pulled over to the side of the road, and the 21-year-old Colorado Springs resident, who people are calling a Good Samaritan in this accident, pulled over to attempt to assist.
All three individuals were standing by the Chevrolet SUV when the Toyota SUV hit the elk in the middle of the road. The Toyota then hit the SUV and the Chevrolet passengers and Good Samaritan; they went flying over the center median. Authorities say this is when the 18-year-old died.
The Toyota then swerved back into traffic and collided with the Dodge. Finally, the Kia crashed into the Dodge.
The nine individuals who sustained injuries were:
- The 30-year-old Dodge driver, who sustained serious injuries,
- A 30-year-old Dodge passenger,
- A 10-year-old Dodge passenger, who sustained serious injuries,
- The 31-year-old Kia driver,
- The Good Samaritan, who was transported to the hospital,
- The 21-year-old Chevrolet driver, who was transported to the hospital,
- The 70-year-old Toyota driver, who sustained serious injuries, and
- The 69-year-old Toyota passenger, who sustained life-threatening injuries.
A 10-year-old boy riding in the Dodge did not sustain any injuries.
The Colorado State Patrol provided these updates. They also shared that the 18-year-old woman who died was Kendra Durnan of Minnesota.
I-25 was closed while the CSP investigated and cleaned up the crash. They reopened it around 7:00 AM.
At this time, authorities don’t believe alcohol, drugs, or speed to be factors in this collision.
Source: The Denver Channel
Speak With a Denver Car Accident Lawyer
Denver Trial Lawyers ® would like to express our condolences to the families affected by this accident. If you were involved in a car accident, our team can guide you through the legal process and ensure the protection of your rights and best interests.
Contact us online or call our experienced car accident lawyers at (303) 647-9990 for assistance.
Please note that the information in this article is from outside sources. We do not verify the information in our office. If you see something incorrect or would like a piece of information removed, please contact us.