The first time you meet with an attorney after your accident can be overwhelming. You may still be struggling with your injuries and trying to make sense of everything that happened to you. In the first initial consultation, your attorney will be gathering information about you and your accident to help you determine the best course of legal action. During this time, it is also important for you to be gathering information about your attorney. This will help you as you progress through the legal process and help you determine if this car accident attorney is the right one for you.
Top 5 Questions to Ask Your Car Accident Lawyer
1. What is your fee structure and do you work on a contingency basis? Contingency fees are generally between 30-40 percent of your total settlement. While this may sound like a lot, you are out no money if the case is unsuccessful, while your attorney is out all the expenses related to your case. The stronger your case happens to be, and the more severe your injuries and damages, the more negotiable your fee agreement will be.
2. Will I be responsible for court costs or other fees? Sometimes there are additional fees that the accident victim is asked to pay, such as investigation fees and court costs. Be sure you understand what fees will be your responsibility.
3. How long will it take to litigate my case? Every case is different and your attorney won’t necessarily know how long it will take. Yet, he or she can give you a rough idea of how long the process will take. Depending on the complexity of your personal injury case, it could take a year or longer to reach a settlement.
4. Do you have time to devote to my case? Some attorneys are already swamped with clients and cases. As such, they might not have the time to devote to your case. If this is the reality, they may be able to refer you to one of their colleagues who have the time and the willingness to take on your case. Delays in your case can delay money you are entitled to and desperately need in order to pay your mounting medical expenses.
5. What is required of me during the legal process? Your attorney will be able to outline all of your responsibilities and what will be expected of you during the legal process. This may include staying off of Facebook and social media sites, attending multiple meetings with your attorney, and going to trials.
Contact Our Denver Car Accident Lawyers
If you or someone you love has been injured in a car accident in Denver, Aurora, Lakewood, Boulder, or anywhere in the State of Colorado, it is important to remember that the law is on your side.