How to Get Your Fort Collins Police Accident Report
If you have been involved in a serious car accident, you may consider filing an injury claim through the insurance company of the party who is at fault.
As a part of the claim, you will need a copy of your accident report. The accident report is the legal record of the details of your crash and is used by insurance, courts and legal representation to aid in your case.
How to Request a Copy of Your Fort Collins Accident Report
If the Fort Collins Police Department responded to your crash, this is the agency where you will request the report.
Before you make your request, the Records Unit recommends you call ahead to (970) 221-6540 to check the availability of your report.
Once your report is available, you can make your request online, in person or by mail, email, or fax.
Request Your Report Online
The City of Fort Collins uses buycrash.com to make Traffic Accident Reports online. Find the link on the City of Fort Collins Public Records webpage. To start your search, select Colorado, then Fort Collins Police Department then enter the following search criteria,
- Last Name of Involved Party
- Date of Accident
- Report Number
Request Your Report In Person, or by Mail, Email or Fax
No matter how you request your report, you will use the Records Request form found on the FCPD website. Download and complete the form and return it in one of the following ways,
Fort Collins Police Department
Main Records Unit
2221 S. Timberline Rd.
Fort Collins, CO 80525
Office hours are M-F, 8 am - 6 pm, Sat and Sun 8 am - 2 pm, including most holidays. The records unit is closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.
Fort Collins Police Services Records
PO Box 580
Fort Collins, CO 80522
By Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By Fax: (970) 221-6284
Important Notes About Accident Report Requests
- The records unit will contact you via your preferred method (phone or email) to collect payment.
- Report fees are $8 plus $0.25 per page. Payment can be made using a check, money order, cash, or credit card.
- NOTE: There may be times when a record is not releasable to the public.
- Call (970) 221-6540 and select Option 1 to speak with a Fort Collins Police Records employee if you require assistance with your request.
- For questions, please contact the Records Unit at (970) 221-6540, option 1
The Colorado State Patrol also responses to traffic accidents in Fort Collins. Find information on how to obtain a Colorado State Patrol accident report here.