How to Protect Yourself From Food Poisoning | Denver Personal Injury Lawyer
Safe Food Preparation
The best thing that you can do to protect yourself from food-borne illness is to wash your hands frequently when cooking or handling food. You should also take care to wash fruits, vegetables and meats before cooking or consumption. Leafy greens should be washed with extra care, as their structure lends to a suitable housing for bacteria.
All meats and eggs should be cooked thoroughly (internal temperature should be at least 160°F). Leftovers should also be heated to an internal temperature of 160°F to kill any bacteria that may have grown on the food while it was in the refrigerator.
When at the grocery store, inspect produce thoroughly. Bruises and cracks may allow bacteria to slip into the food and grow.
Keeping a Healthy Kitchen
Preparation tools such as cutting boards, knives and other utensils and dishes should always be washed with soap and hot water after being handled. Never use the same cutting board to chop fruits and vegetables that you just used to cut or prepare meat. Cleaning the countertops with a paper towel that can be thrown away rather than a cloth or rag also helps to eliminate risk. Bacteria can grow on the wash rag and is then spread back onto the counters whenever it is used. If you prefer to use a cloth rag, it should be placed in the washer between each use.
Symptoms of Food Poisoning
Food poisoning signs can include cramps, vomiting diarrhea and dizziness, hives, fever, headache and weakness. Someone that is suffering from food poisoning may experience some or all of these symptoms. Symptoms typically arise within 2-6 hours of eating the contaminated food. Symptoms should resolve within 24-48 hours and if they have not resolved after 48 hours, a doctor should be consulted. It is important to drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration, If symptoms include difficulty breathing, paralysis, slurred speech, difficulty swallowing or blood in the stool, 911 should be called immediately as these can be signs of more dangerous food poisoning.